Choose A Team Dedicated To Your Personal Injury Needs

Photo of Daniel Titsworth and paralegal Kimberley Miller

I got hurt at work – now what?

On Behalf of | Apr 2, 2014 | Uncategorized, Workers' Compensation

The Workers Compensation Acts provides specific instructions on what to do when you are injured on the job. Keep in mind how you report the accident to your employer is very important and may affect whether or not your claim is accepted or denied. Ledbetter & Titsworth provides free consultation and can advise you of your rights at no cost to you. Below is the specific statute that states how you are to provide notice and what that notice is to contain.

§97-22. Notice of accident to employer.

Every injured employee or his representative shall immediately on the occurrence of an accident, or as soon thereafter as practicable, give or cause to be given to the employer a written notice of the accident, and the employee shall not be entitled to physician’s fees nor to any compensation which may have accrued under the terms of this Article prior to the giving of such notice, unless it can be shown that the employer, his agent or representative, had knowledge of the accident, or that the party required to give such notice had been prevented from doing so by reason of physical or mental incapacity, or the fraud or deceit of some third person; but no compensation shall be payable unless such written notice is given within 30 days after the occurrence of the accident or death, unless reasonable excuse is made to the satisfaction of the Industrial Commission for not giving such notice and the Commission is satisfied that the employer has not been prejudiced thereby. (1929, c. 120, s. 22.)

Ledbetter & Titsworth proudly represents individuals and families suffering from work-related injuries in the NC Triangle including those in Cary, Apex, Morrisville, Holly Springs, Raleigh, Durham and Chapel Hill, NC, and surrounding areas. Call us 919-297-2372